Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 21

Nicknames I have and why I have them:
I'm a few days behind, so here's two for you today!

My first nickname was Meme. Apparently, I said "me! me!" all the time, and it stuck. When I was around 8 or 9 I changed the spelling to Mimi, so it would be more mature. Nobody outside of my family called me that, though.
I was always Melinda at school, until 9th grade. There was a Belinda in the band at that time, and it started to get confusing, so one of my friends (I honestly don't remember who) started calling me Melly. Well, some people thought my nickname should be Millie instead of Melly, so I had a group of friends calling me Melly and another group calling me Millie!! It was crazy. By the time I graduated, I was back to plain old Melinda. Now and again, people will call me Mel, which I really don't mind at all, but for the most part, I'm Melinda.
My sister started calling me Milk at one time because I was the palest of all my sisters and I can't seem to tan like they can! So, she called me Milk, and I called her Dead Leaf for some reason.
Of course, I'm Mommy now to my kids and actually for a long time they called me MaMa. The Mommy thing took over after a while, and now Anna is calling me Mom, because Mommy is getting too baby-ish for her.
Danny just calls me Melinda. We don't have nicknames for each other and never have. No particular reason.
I know. Pretty boring, but there you have it!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Um, HELLO?? Your nickname is LINNA!

That's way better than Mimi or Mel or Mellie or MILK (sheesh I don't even remember that).

Melinda said...

Oops! I knew I was forgetting one! I don't even remember who gave it to me and why!

Ginny said...

The "Meme" thing also started because Mom wanted to nickname you "Lindy" and Suzy & I thought that was awful, so we said "Mindy" because that was our friend's name who was drill team captain. So we all just used Melinda until you started asking for everything with "Me, me".