Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Worst Doctor's Visit EVER

Today I took Eddie to his 2-month check-up. Not a big deal, right? Um, not so when you have Tommy with you! I picked him up from school and we went straight to the doctor's office. Tommy had a snack and milk on the way and was pretty good in the waiting room for the first 15 minutes, but then he turned into a total monster! He pulled all the toys in front of the glass doors and refused to let anyone in, he kicked the doors and rammed them with the ride-on toys, he screamed at the top of his lungs (apparently because he likes the sound of his own horendous screeches), and kept "falling" off everything, then immediately errupted into big, fake wails complete with crocodile tears! I kept apologizing to all the parents in the room, and I tried to keep Eddie ,and every other kid, safe from The Monster. We waited in that room for 45 minutes! Come on! Seriously!? By that time, I was completely frazzled and grateful that the nurse came. We then went to an even smaller room with only 2 toys and one rolling chair. Tommy escaped from the room about 10 times during Eddie's exam and twice it took me and another nurse to drag him (literally) kicking and screaming back to the room. He kept trying to play on the rolling chair, but that's a big no-no for kids, and he just didn't understand why. The nurse finally put it in the hall. Thank goodness! Tommy screamed and cried for much of the time, and threw the 2 toys that were available to throw. Finally, it was time to go and Tommy didn't want to leave the exam room! When he couldn't leave, he tried to, and when he couldn't stay, he wouldn't leave! We finally got in the car, and sanity returned. How was Eddie? He slept through most of it, and cried pitiously when he got 4 shots, 2 in each leg, but as soon as his clothes were on, he stopped crying and went back to sleep. Eddie is now 12 pounds and 23 3/4 inches long. Sigh, I have been blessed with such a sweet baby... for now! Tommy was just VERY tired and hungry. He went to bed late last night, woke up at 3:30 freezing because he took his clothes off (why do kids do that?), woke up pretty early this morning, and he's ALWAYS hungry. After some french fries and a quick nap in the car, he was fine. I have learned that it's hard to discipline a tired, hungry kid at the doctor's office, and I will find a baby-sitter for Tommy for Eddie's next appointment!


Gabby said...

Yeesh! You poor thing. I could just totally see this happening, the way you described it. Thank goodness at least one of your kids was calm!

Rebecca said...

They pick the most convenient time to act out don't they? Little monsters.. if they weren't so dang cute they wouldn't be alive. :)

Missy Saunders said...

WOW. Glad I'm not you, but I probably will be one of these days! Ben is at his absolute worst when he's hungry and tired. And it usually ends up being at church of all places (nursery is ONE WEEK AWAY!) Hopefully this will probably be the worst you see for a while!